Current:Home > InvestToyota to Spend $35 Billion on Electric Push in an Effort to Take on Tesla -ProfitEdge
Toyota to Spend $35 Billion on Electric Push in an Effort to Take on Tesla
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:52:04
Toyota said it will pour $35bn into a shift towards electric vehicles as the world’s biggest carmaker sets itself up for direct rivalry with Tesla and joins other groups in a push for carbon neutrality.
It marks a major increase in its electric targets as it aims to sell 3.5 million battery-powered vehicles annually by 2030, with the launch of 30 EV models by then in a line-up including sports cars and commercial vehicles.
The company has in the past argued that a longer-term fix for global warming should be a mix of hybrids, EVs and hydrogen-powered vehicles instead of a single bet on battery-powered cars.
But this focus has worried investors, who fear the group is dragging its feet on its electric plan, particularly as the technology has driven Tesla’s stratospheric rise in market value.
“I wasn’t interested in Toyota’s EVs until now. But now I’m interested in future EVs,” said Toyota president Akio Toyoda in a press conference.
Despite trailing Volkswagen and General Motors, some investors think now Toyota is stepping up electric sales targets, it could become formidable.
“They don’t make announcements like this unless they believe they can do it and want to do it. It tells me there is a high level of commitment,” said Christopher Richter, chief auto analyst at CLSA Capital Partners Japan in Tokyo.
Although the figure trails the $58.5 billion pledge on electric from German rival VW, it dwarfs the $17.7 billion promised by Japanese rival Nissan when it unveiled its long-term EV strategy in late November.
The $35 billion, which will be equally divided between car development and continuing investment in battery improvement, is also a significant increase since its last announcement earlier this year.
It had previously said it would sell 2 million electric and fuel-cell vehicles combined by 2030 and spend $13 billion in batteries.
Toyoda said the company’s high-end Lexus brand would be at the forefront of the company’s more aggressive battery push, with all of these models becoming pure electric by 2035.
The company plans to target customers in the U.S. and China, where the brand is popular. The company hopes Lexus customers will make the switch to electric earlier than other models.
“Battery cars are going to be expensive and the people best positioned to buy them now are the people who own Lexuses, not Corollas,” said CLSA analyst Richter.
However, the company stopped short of committing its entire bet on EVs, arguing that it could not accurately predict either the development of the technology or the pace of adoption.
“Toyota can’t decide what menu customers will choose, so we want to expand the range of options we have,” said Toyoda. “Leaving options for everyone and following the right solution as soon as we find it out. That is how we can be competitive and survive.”
Toyota’s latest ambition for zero emissions follows its announcement earlier this month that it would be ready, from 2035, to only sell vehicles in western Europe that did not emit carbon dioxide.
But this was based on the assumption that sufficient renewable energy capacity and electric charging and hydrogen refuelling infrastructures would be in place by then in Europe, which accounts for about 10 percent of Toyota’s global sales.
This story originally appeared in the Dec. 14, 2021 edition of The Financial Times
Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2021
Reprinted with permission.
veryGood! (931)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 'Kind of can't go wrong': USA Basketball's Olympic depth on display in win
- AP PHOTOS: Scenes from Alec Baldwin’s ‘Rust’ shooting trial
- Chase Daniel, ex-NFL QB: Joe Burrow angered every player with 18-game schedule remark
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Europe launches maiden flight of Ariane 6 rocket
- Peter Welch becomes first Senate Democrat to call on Biden to withdraw from presidential race
- ACC lawsuit against Clemson will proceed after North Carolina judge denies motion to stay
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- The Token Revolution of DB Wealth Institute: Launching DBW Token to Fund and Enhance 'AI Financial Navigator 4.0' Investment System
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Hurricane Beryl’s remnants flood Vermont a year after the state was hit by catastrophic rainfall
- Businesswoman who complained about cartel extortion and illegal fishing is shot dead in Mexico
- Stock market today: Asian shares zoom higher, with Nikkei over 42,000 after Wall St sets new records
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Sen. Bob Menendez bribery case one step closer to jury deliberations as closing arguments wrap up
- Taylor Swift consistently pauses her European concerts for this reason
- England vs. Netherlands highlights: Ollie Watkins goal at the death sets up Euro 2024 final
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Peter Welch becomes first Senate Democrat to call on Biden to withdraw from presidential race
Abigail Breslin Says She’s Received Death Threats After Appearing to Criticize Katy Perry
Government power in the US is a swirl of checks and balances, as a recent Supreme Court ruling shows
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
DB Wealth Institute, the Cradle of Financial Elites
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner's daughter Violet urges Los Angeles officials to oppose mask bans, says she developed post-viral condition
Uruguay players and Colombia fans fight in stands after Copa America semifinal